Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: March 2013

Completed 8 stands of Soviet SMG’s for Flames of War today. I used the BattleFront rubble bases for these miniatures. The terrain details and add-ons are pretty cool, but the round spaces for the miniatures are an iffy fit with BF infantry. I had to trim quite a few lead bases to get them to sit down in the round “slots” – this was a bit of a PITA. Also, the gaps are quite obvious after gluing in the figs, so leveling was necessary as well. I think they add something to the presentation, but I’m not sure I would buy them again.

SANY1021SANY1022

I made a little progress this weekend. I’ve finished the bases on two battalions of Prussian Landwehr that I have been staring at for two weeks – couldn’t decide whether to go old-school (green pitcher’s mound) or new-school (leveled, sand, paint, drybrush, etc.). I decided on a little of both – old school paint job, new-school leveled and contoured and then an old-school flock and static grass coating. They have the 70’s vibe I am shooting for without looking like I did them in the ‘70’s!

I’ve finished base-coating 8 stands of Soviet SMG infantry, and have brushed on Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone. For WWII 15’s, indispensable.

SANY1018SANY1020SANY1019

I’ve been using my airbrush to base-coat my 15mm infantry. It is a big timesaver! This is a Battlefront SMG squad on one of their rubble bases. It took about 15 seconds to basecoat with the airbrush, and I have a very smooth and even coat of paint to highlight up. It would have taken me a few minutes to do this with a brush and it would have taken two passes to get this even a finish.

SANY1017

I’ve recently finished a platoon of five T34/85’s. These are PSC 15mm plastic models. They work well with BattleFront, but unfortunately I purchased these before realizing they aren’t available in the list I am building (Udarny). Oops! I do like how they turned out, FWIW. These are the first plastic tanks I’ve painted since the mid 1990’s, technique is a bit rusty but YouTube is a great help. I based the tanks on BF large bases to give them a little more heft. While not necessary, I like the look with the bases better than without, and it does protect them a bit.

Material

Used For …

PSC Soviet T34/85 The models …
Vallejo Surface Primer – Russian Green Primer, basecoat
Vallejo Model Color (VMC) – Russian Green Basecoat drybrush
VMC Russian Uniform WWII First highlight
VMC Iraqi Sand Mixed with Uniform for further highlights
Secret Weapon Pigment – Terracotta Pigment wash
Tamiya Flat Brown Track basecoat
Vallejo Panzer Aces (VPA) – Dark rubber Road wheel surface
VPA Light Rust
VPA Rust
Mixed for rust effects on spare tracks, exhaust, etc.
Winton Oil Color – Van Dyke Brown + Mineral Spirits Oil wash for armor panel details.
Testors Dullcote Seal and matte finish

 

SANY1016

Period

Rules

What’s in the Queue

Napoleonics Custom based on classic CLS Prussians – Dennewitz 1813
WWII FoW Soviet Udarny Strelkovy
Sci-Fi 40K DV Dark Angels

Recent work …

SANY1008SANY1013SANY1015

To cover all my tabletop adventures, from historical ancients through sci-fi futures. I’ve been a miniature wargamer, painter, and modeler since 1975. I hope someone finds these ramblings useful!