Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: July 2013

These models have been waiting for paint for a while – time to get them out of the way. I’ve been painting mostly vehicles lately, surprising how much more work goes in to infantry.

The AT guns are Command Decision miniatures. Assembly was a minor pain and certain elements lack detail. For example, the inner surface of each wheel is not sculpted at all; it is a flat lead disc without any of the elements that are on the outside (spoked wheel, treads, etc.). I tried to use deep shadows to hide the worst of it.

The gunners are Skytrex – I bought a bag of 50 assorted poses to supplement the goofy PSC gunners from the plastic kits. Unfortunately, these are not great sculptures – the detail is confusing at best. Everything is raised and exaggerated, so at least I was able to pick out what usable detail there is.

SANY1090SANY1091SANY1092SANY1093

These probably won’t make it into my Rota list – I put them together for my Late-War Udarny list. That said, I think they are very useful as they are the most effective Soviet AT gun that is rated “Light”. For ambush purposes they will have the most flexible placement at AT rating 8 and ROF 3. That is a real threat to the side armor of everything except Tigers.

Finished up a Sturmovik IL-2 from Zvesda, purchased from Amazon for about 5 bucks. The kit lacks certain details that I would like to see but you can’t go wrong for the price. Here are the unboxed contents:

SANY1083

The kit consists of one full sprue of green plastic parts, the cockpit in clear plastic, a sheet of decals, and a black plastic flight stand. The aircraft fuselage is reasonably detailed (cannons and MG’s) and can be configured with landing gear either deployed or retracted (I went with the “in flight” option”). The panel lines are very very shallow and do not take an oil wash very well, but the plane painted up ok regardless. More disappointing is the lack of any under-wing ordnance; no bombs or rockets. Oh well, I’m not sure any of the other options in 1/144 (e.g. Battlefront) include more detail.

Assembly is very simple as this is a snap-fit kit. There were several mold lines on the one-piece fuselage that were of the carve-scrape-sand-fill variety but other than that the kit was pretty clean.

I painted the plane using the color scheme from the box art – a Russian Green and Khaki camo pattern on top with light grey-blue under wing. I Google’d up a few paint schemes to get an idea of where to place the decals and to see what other details can be added. Here is the result:

SANY1086SANY1087SANY1088SANY1089

So, the Kobra is no more – this is a bummer but what can you do. As I mentioned in my last post I have procured a Sturmovik and will integrate that into the list. For Limited Air Support it is a 70 point hit to upgrade (?) from the Kobra to the IL-2. To make up the difference, I have tweaked the number of Stuarts I am taking from 8 (4 w/ AA) to 6 (3 w/AA). I’ll think on this for a while but it seems the most straightforward way to go. Here is what I am working towards for Rota:

Allentown Rota

I’ve been on vacation and haven’t made any real progress for a couple of weeks. Getting back in the groove, I finished up three SU-100’s that I had purchased for my Late War list (Udarny) to get them off the work table. This follows the new rules – everything that gets purchased gets painted! I suppose that I could proxy them in a pinch for SU-85’s in Mid War if I wanted to use that option as well.

These are a bit of an experiment. I didn’t use my usual three step process (basecoat, drybrush, detail). Instead, I did all of the highlights and shading with the airbrush and finished with a couple of oil washes. I think they compare pretty favorably and this method is much faster. I used Vallejo Model Color paints cut with Liquitex Medium/Distilled Water/Liquitex Flow Aid. Colors used were Russian Green for the basecoat and shadows, Russian Green/Russian WWII Uniform at 50/50 for the mid shades, and Russian Green/Iraqi Sand for highlights. Van Dyke Brown was used for the oil washes. Finish coat is Vallejo Satin Varnish mixed 50/50 with the airbrush thinner mix from above.

SANY1080SANY1082

Now that I’ve got these off the bench I will continue working on my Rota list for next month. I need to rework the list given the P-39 Kobra nerfing – I still want air power and have purchased an IL-2 Sturmovik in 1/144 (Zvesda model). It is more expensive, points-wise, so I’ll have to tweak the list over the weekend and finalize my painting plan for this month.